The £116m regeneration of the High Lane Estate in Hanwell, West Ealing, has reached a milestone with Rydon and the London Borough of Ealing signing the Development Agreement.

At the end of last year, residents voted overwhelmingly in favour of Rydon’s proposal to rebuild their neighbourhood, with a 91% backing, the first time a mandatory ballot has been used by a London council to determine public support for a development of this type.

The major project forms part of Ealing’s development programme and will replace poorly designed housing blocks comprising 264 existing homes, with 504 new mixed tenure energy efficient family homes over three phases and with work anticipated to start in 2021.

48% of the new homes will be affordable (by habitable room), to help meet the GLA’s affordable homes policy on public land, providing existing residents with improved accommodation and local facilities. The rest of the homes will be available on the open market for private sale by Rydon.

Ealing Borough Council appointed Rydon as their preferred development partner in 2017 for the estate’s regeneration. The Rydon project team has since held a series of resident consultation events gaining positive feedback on the proposals for their neighbourhood.

This year the team has been making some significant amendments to the design to help overcome the significant level changes on the site whilst maintaining viability and ensuring the homes provide a contemporary take on the local West London vernacular. A planning application will be submitted in spring 2020.

In addition to high-quality housing, there will be an emphasis on improving community facilities and bringing residents together. This will include a new shop, indoor and outdoor community spaces, allotments and a new play area for children. 

The environment and energy savings have also been central to the design. Latest technologies will be used for a communal district heating system with communal air source heat pumps used principally for spring and summer heating, combined with gas fired district heating for colder periods, along with power generated with an extensive array of solar photo voltaic panels.

20% of the parking spaces on the scheme will have charging points for electric vehicles with the remaining 80% being passively wired to enable easy commission of additional charging points in the future.

Local infrastructure has influenced the design plans at High Lane, with consideration to the arrival of Crossrail locally to Hanwell helping to improve connectivity to central London and beyond. The goal of the project is to create a vibrant new neighbourhood in West London, enhancing the quality of life for residents and creating an inclusive neighbourhood. 

High Lane is the second housing regeneration scheme Rydon has secured with Ealing. The Green Man Lane regeneration nearby is a £166m project to provide a new neighbourhood with the potential of up to 900 new homes, community facilities and landscaped spaces, scheduled to complete in 2024.