Contract Value: £3 million
Architect: Quattro Design
Client: Queen Elizabeth’s Hospital School
Procurement: Design & Build - Two Stage

Rydon has created a new science and ceramics block at the heart of this historic and renowned independent school in Bristol.

The school can trace its origins to 1586 and was established after Bristol merchant, John Carr, left provision for it in his will.

The Senior School has existed since 1590 to provide an education for boys who, for centuries, were distinguished by their 'blue coats'. The current main buildings date from 1847.

This development was part of an ongoing programme of investment into the school and comprises a steel framed building which houses laboratories and includes a ceramics area with gas oven. The building is clad with copper sheeting and has a sedum roof to blend in with the adjacent Brandon Hill.

The project was particularly challenging in that the site is land locked and the only means of access for plant and materials was by a sizeable tower crane that towered above Clifton & the Bristol skyline.