Nelson Health Centre is an £11.3m community health facility in Wimbledon built by Rydon Construction for South West London Health Partnerships.
The work, which replaced the existing Nelson Hospital, has provided flexible and extended GP and outpatient services through modern, state-of-the-art facilities, including retinal screening, podiatry, x-ray/ultrasound, endoscopy and phlebotomy services.
The three-storey building houses two GP clinics, a café, pharmacy and associated office accommodation.
The building is BREEAM (Health) Excellent rated and contains sustainable features including photovoltaic panels. The design received input from clinicians, Borough of Merton planners as well as local residents.
Delivered across two phases, the project has involved the demolition of the existing hospital, ranging in age from Edwardian when the hospital opened in 1911 through to the 1990s, with the retention of three areas of Pavilion Block façade and a remodelling of a section of public highway known as The Rush.
The Nelson Health Centre received a national award for the Best Primary Care Development at the renowned Building Better Healthcare Awards.