Newton Abbot Community Hospital is a brand new, state-of-the-art facility developed by Rydon Construction under a PFI contract, secured in July 2006 by the health and social care division of the Group, Ryhurst.
Under the terms of the PFI, Rydon Maintenance continues to provide Hard Facilities Management services to maintain the hospital over the 25 year contract period. In addition, Rydon Maintenance has taken on the management of the lifecycle fund as part of the Service Level Agreement for the duration of the contract term.
Financial close on the contract was achieved in 2007 and the building was handed over to Devon Primary Care Trust in November 2008.
The 60-bed hospital consists of 32 single en-suite bedrooms together with seven four-bedded bays in two wards at first floor level. The facilities include a rehabilitation unit, a minor injury and illness centre, a small maternity unit and a range of outpatient facilities. Built on a new site, it replaces the old hospital which consisted of a mix of Edwardian and Victorian structures no longer suitable to meet modern healthcare standards.
The hospital is one of the UK’s most energy efficient, and incorporates a range of environmental technologies, including a super-efficient combined heat and power unit, high levels of insulation and the use of low energy lighting.
The building was winner of the 2007 Health Investor PFI Deal of the Year award, which recognised the combined Trust and the Rydon teams’ ability to work positively together to achieve excellent standards. It also won the 2009 Building Better Healthcare award for Best Community Care Design.
Rydon also provides Hard Facilities Management services to the hospital site incorporating Planned Preventative and Reactive Maintenance for:
• Estates Services – Comprehensive Maintenance service including Planned Preventative Maintenance and Reactive Maintenance
• 24/365 on site Helpdesk – Live link to Client;
• Grounds & Gardens Maintenance – Hard and Soft Landscaping including ice & snow clearance;
• Energy & Utilities – monitoring of Building Management Systems and building services including Utilities meter readings, energy reporting and advice on energy efficiency measures.
• Telecoms, including switchboard, pagers, radios & telephony management.
• All soft FM calls are managed by the helpdesk and comprehensive monthly helpdesk reports are provided
• Pest Control
• Car Parking